blogheader-rev

Technology Unwrapped

The most important technology concepts, strategies and actions uncovered for your business.

How Do Hackers Use Social Media Profiling?

CoreTech Staff
Staying in touch with family and friends, surfing through the latest batch of memes, or even interacting with our favorite brands—social media is ubiquitous in the world today. It’s all about sharing, and, well, socializing.   While social media does have a good purpose, there are, unsurprisingly, threat actors who use all that shared information for nefarious purposes.  
Read More
Topics: Security Threats

The Details You Need to Know about the REvil Ransomware Attack on Kaseya

CoreTech Staff
While the rest of us were heading off to celebrate the 4th of July with a long weekend, threat actors were hard at work on yet another cyber security attack.  
Read More
Topics: Security Threats, Data Breach, Network Security

Is Your Phone Saying You have “Weak Security? Here’s What it Means.

CoreTech Staff
Has your mobile device alerted you to “weak security” recently?  The latest update patches from Apple and Android will now show an alert for weak security if your router or modem is using an outdated network security key. 
Read More
Topics: Security Threats, Alert

What Can We Learn From the New Executive Order on Cyber Security?

Chris Vilim
SolarWinds, the Microsoft Exchange Server hack, and now the Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack, among scores of other cyber security attacks and breaches, have led to President Joe Biden passing an executive order (EO) on cyber security.   This executive order, while not asking anything revolutionary, is a step in the right direction for our federal government, and many SMBs should take note of the items emphasized to better protect their own data and IT systems from the increasingly complex ...
Read More
Topics: Security Threats, Data Breach, Network Security

3 Types of Insider Threats and How to Prevent them in Your Organization

CoreTech Staff
When you hear the term “insider threat,” what comes to mind? Is it an irritated individual intentionally causing problems within your systems—perhaps one employee with a vendetta against your company?  Or is it something else entirely?  
Read More
Topics: Security Threats

How to Avoid Being Socially Engineered

CoreTech Staff
Social engineering attacks are increasing in inboxes everywhere, and it’s vital that your employees know how to spot these manipulation attempts.   In fact, according to an expert panel from Digital Guardian, only 3 percent of attackers try to exploit technical components and devices.   What about the other 97 percent?  
Read More
Topics: Security Threats, Network Security

4 Email Security Best Practices

Ryan Aiken
Email is one of the most important tools used for business communication. Because of that, it is also one of the most common causes of a security breach. With that said, there are several methods and services available to protect yourself from being exploited by a hacker. What practices should you follow? This article will explain 4 of the best practices for email security.
Read More
Topics: Security Threats, Network Security

Basic IT Security Policy Recommendations

Wynn Obermeyer
In this golden age of technology, companies can run a completely virtual business without ever opening a physical store. However, online businesses come with vulnerabilities and risks that can threaten your company’s security and livelihood. All businesses, small and large, are at risk for security breaches every day. Threats like ransomware and phishing can lead to detrimental damages to a company.  In fact, within six months of a cyber attack, 60 percent of small and midsize businesses (SMBs) ...
Read More
Topics: Security Threats, Network Security, Technology Planning

Top 5 Cyber Security Threats for Real Estate Companies

CoreTech Staff
Having recently purchased a house with my fiancé, I have witnessed firsthand how complex and involved the real estate process can get, as well as how many potential cyber security risks arise during a real estate transaction. Whether your real estate company sells residential or commercial properties, security of your contacts and data is critical. 
Read More
Topics: Security Threats, Network Security

What You Need to Know About the Dark Web, Deep Web, and Surface Web

CoreTech Staff
Every organization conducts business online, but you may not realize that the Web is much larger and more complex than most of us are aware of. In fact, the portion of the web that you use for day-to-day activity is just the tip of the iceberg.   There’s also the deep web, and the malevolent-sounding dark web.   It’s important to understand the differences among the surface web, the deep web and the dark web, as well as what you can do to protect your information from ending up for sale on the ...
Read More
Topics: Security Threats, Network Security