In this golden age of technology, companies can run a completely virtual business without ever opening a physical store. However, online businesses come with vulnerabilities and risks that can threaten your company’s security and livelihood. All businesses, small and large, are at risk for security breaches every day. Threats like ransomware and phishing can lead to detrimental damages to a company.
In fact, within six months of a cyber attack, 60 percent of small and midsize businesses (SMBs) go out of business. The best way to ensure your business’s recovery and protection is to have basic IT security measures in place to prevent data breaches. Read on for basic IT security policy recommendations that can help protect any size business.
Why Do I Need a Security Plan, and How Do I Decide What I Need?
Every business needs a basic security plan in place. While 60 percent of SMB owners don’t think their business will be targets of a cyber attack, 100 percent of businesses online are at risk.
Almost half of small businesses have been the targets of a ransomware attack, and ransomware is one of the biggest threats for online businesses on the internet today.
So the question should not be “Do I need a plan?” but rather “How do I create a basic IT security policy?”
When planning your company’s security needs, ask these questions:
- What do I have that needs to be secured?
- How do I need to secure it?
- Who will be responsible for securing it?
- How often will security be checked?
- What threats will my data face?
Identifying which data needs securing and how to do it are the first steps to protecting your business. Create a checklist of needs for your company before deciding on which assets should be protected and how.
Do I Need an IT Security Provider?
After determining your business’s needs, next you will need to decide if the security of your data is something your business can manage alone. Protection for your company’s server and data can have numerous layers that need to be addressed and monitored. Ask yourself:
- Who will have access to the company’s sensitive information?
- How often will it be monitored?
- How will I know the monitoring system is doing its job?
- Will I need to train employees?
- How big should my monitoring team be?
These types of questions will help you determine the needs of your company. Hiring an IT professional on your company’s internal team or a managed IT services company will increase your business security.
If hiring a company, you will need to ensure that the company is trustworthy and up to date on the latest security threats and protections.
IT service providers can also train employees on security best practices. Many security breaches come from internal threats, such as employees not following procedures or breaching the data themselves. Building or hiring an IT security team is essential to the success of any business operating online.
Tips for Protecting Your Business
If you are searching for ways to protect your business, you can find numerous resources offered online as well as through IT security companies. Below are a few tips for business owners who may need guidance.
- Back up your data. If your company does experience a breach, you want to have your data as well as clients’ data backed up in a secure location.
- Use firewalls, email filtering for phishing, ransomware protection and antivirus software. Having these basic protections in place is a first step toward securing your data.
- Ensure that security monitoring is ongoing. Never assume that you are “finished” once you have security in place; you should continuously monitor security as threats can arise at any time.
- Reach out to IT security companies for advice, seminars and training. Many organizations offer free information and resources to help businesses protect themselves.
What CoreTech Can Do for You
Choosing superior IT security should be a step that gives you peace of mind that your company’s data is secured. Your company should also be a trustworthy partner with which clients and customers can feel confident doing business.
CoreTech is a security-driven managed services provider (MSP) with the ComptTIA Trustmark+ certification. This certification ensures that industry-level security standards are met, evaluates a provider’s history to prevent data breaches, and continues constant updates to security changes and industry information.
To find out more about our services, contact us today!